Sunday, August 5, 2007

A Laid Back Sometimes Blogger

Good morning to all my Blogger Brothers and Sisters. I woke up this morning feeling great. One reason was that I was still breathing and, I was laying next to my lovely wife, and she was still breathing also. The second reason was, it was the 32nd day that I have not had a cigarette. July 1st, I went to my doctor and asked him to prescribe Chantix, a medication that blocks the receptors in your brain which the nicotine attaches itself to (according to Dr. Wulff). I can't tell you how great I feel. My back still hurts like hell though and I can only sit or stand for 30 minutes at a time before the pain is unbearable, but I'M NOT SMOKING and have no cravings for one. I'm really proud of myself and so is Deb and the girls. I've gotten over the 'hump' and that was the biggest part. The stuff really works. Now, I just have to get Debbie to try this miracle drug, not only for her health, but think of the money we could save if both of us were to quit.


I used to say to Deb, I'm going to quit smoking and the money I'll save from it will make a tractor payment. She'd say "You show me you can quit and then we'll see." I'd be all pumped up and maybe quit for a day. What I did tell her this time though was, I want the money I'd spend for a carton of cigarettes for myself, to put in a special bank account and when I want something, I'll have the money to buy it. That hasn't happened yet and I figure she owes me $200 for the month of July. So by next July, I'd have approx. $2,400 in my 'special account' to take a nice trip somewhere. And if she quit, she'd have enough saved to go with me. Her choice.


I never leave my patio cushions out during the night when there is a chance of rain. They've claimed scattered showers, isolated showers and storms for a month and we haven't had a drop. I've been taking my cushions in nightly, just in case the weather man is right for once. Last night, we got home late and the forecast for today was, possible showers late, and my back was hurting so badly, I just left the cushions out and would take them later today. I walked downstairs this morning and I couldn't believe it. IT WAS RAINING and my cushions were soaked. EIGHT CHAIR CUSHIONS AND TWO LOUNGE CUSHIONS SOAK. I can't think of the proper words to use for how I felt, so I'll just say, I WAS PISSED. For a month, I've taken them into the garage at night and the one time I leave them out, it rains. Once again, the weather man was wrong. That has be the best job in the world to have. Everyone knows it's always the opposite of what they say. If they say it's going to be sunny, it rains. If they call for rain, it's sunny. God, I hate those people. But they say it's suppose to be 93 tomorrow, so maybe the weatherman will have it right for once and I can throw all the cushions over the railings and they'll dry off. A-holes!


I had to retire my little blue Honda. It was on it's last legs and I couldn't trust it to start if I needed to go anywhere. It did me right for a car that had almost 235,000 miles on it. 'Old Blue' was getting tired and letting me know it. One day it would start and the next day it wouldn't. So, I purchased another car. Although this car is used, it is in perfect condition and I hope that it performs just as well as 'Old Blue'. I was out for lunch with my Detroit Brothers last week and I drove to Saline met with one friend and he drove to Ann Arbor to hook up with the other two. He has several vehicles and he picked me up in his Lexus and it had a For Sale sign on it. This was the first time I've seen the car and it was lovely. It had everything imaginable in it, like new and only 66,000 miles on it. I told Debbie that night what a great deal this was and the car was in mint condition and she said "Do what you want." I was shocked. So, I called up my buddy and I was driving it the next day. According to the computer records of the vehicle, an old woman in Florida first own it and drove it 7,000 mile. She then sold it to another old lady in Florida who drove it 33,000 miles. Then my buddy who has condos in Florida bought it and put 26,000 miles on it, keeping it in his garage from October thur May covered up. According to him, no one has ever smoked in it. Since I no longer smoke, I was pleased that it didn't have a smoky smell and told Deb that I would really appreciate it if she didn't smoke in it. We drove to Ann Arbor to pick the car up and Deb wanted to drive home and I followed in the Jeep. Fifteen minutes later, I saw her arm shoot out the window and a cigarette shot pass me on the expressway. She couldn't even wait an hour to light up. Not only did I see her arm protrude from the window once, but FIVE TIMES. So, if you do the math, that would be one cigarette every twelve minutes. She was the first person to smoke in that car, EVER. Unreal! But, she promised never do it again, yeah right. Paybacks will be hell.
Friday, I'm going to the Lions exhibition game with my Detroit Buddies and then on Saturday, we're heading to Cadillac for Stacey's grandma's birthday party, she'll be 110 years old. Wonder what it's like to be that old? She's seen a lot in her lifetime. She's a huge Tiger Fan and I thought about calling up the Tigers and ask if they would be willing to give an autographed ball to her for her 100th. But, I waited to long and besides, once I got it, I'd probably keep it for myself. Not really. So, if anyone knows what to get a woman that is a century old, let me know quickly.
Blog-ingly,
J.E.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for the not smoking milestone. I didn't smoke a stove in my early married lfe!!! And I've never smoked ever. Now work on Deb. Grammie Dammie

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

CONGRATS on quitting smoking!! That is great :)

Mona said...

Ok, Jim...you and Joe are making the rest of us weak people look bad! I am taking the Chantix and smoking up a storm.