Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Becky Sue is Niffty Fifty

About a month ago, before I started back to blogging, our own Becky Sue, wife of Rick, Mother to Molly and Kellen, Sister to Debbie, Steve and Scott and Sister in Law to Stacey and myself, J.E., turned the Big Five O. One day when Deb and I were at home, Molly called and said that she and Kellen were planning a surprise birthday party for their Mom and since we were their favorite Aunt and Uncle, they of course wanted us there and said that we could have one of the upstairs bedrooms if we came. Well hell, that was better than sleeping on the hide-a-bed, so I told her that we wouldn't miss it for the world and what could we bring to help her out. Then I found out that they actually couldn't get anyone to commit and we were the last ones on the list. Molly said that if people knew that Aunt Deb and Uncle Jim were going to be there, then everyone else would show up. Now is that an M.S.U. grad or what?

As we walked into the cabin ready to party, Kellen, Molly and the Birthday Girl were sitting on the couch wondering why people were starting to arrive at the cabin until Molly said, "Damn, I forgot that we were having a party for Mom." Not to worry. This family is a partying family and it doesn't take much to get one going and lucky for Becky, we all brought gifts. Apparently, the word had spread that Deb and I were going to be in Gaylord that day and more and more, relatives and friends were starting to show up along with people that no one knew. They just saw cars in front of the cabin and figured it was par-TAY time. Debbie brought 150 Jello Shots for herself, but decided she'd better give one to the Birthday Girl. Becky opened presents and pretended to like them all, but later told us that she like the Sister Angels that Debbie told me to buy the best. Then I heard her tell Stacey she like the tea pot that Stacey bought her the best. Then she told me that I was the best gift she could have gotten. OK, I made that one up.



Jennifer and Eddie drove up, and Stephanie, who was going to ride up with them had to work that day and drove up separately. Tori drove up from Lake State and Steve, Stacey and Jami came in from Cadillac for the event.



Neighbors came to pay their respects, I mean wish her a Happy Birthday, pound down several brewskis, have some snacks and pound down more brewskis. The only good thing for me about not drinking any longer, is that no matter what day you wake up, you're feeling great, unless you're sick with the flu or something. When I walked downstairs the following morning, the scene was like something out of Animal House. Everyone that was up, looked like they've been on a ten day drunk, and believe me, I do know what that's like. People were walking around at a slow pace, half laying/half sitting on the couches and chairs, heads on the dining room table. Novices!


The party was fantastic and it was an honor to be there for Becky's 50th birthday. She's a class act and a wonderful Sister in Law, even though her golf game leaves a lot to be desired. I know that she had a wonderful birthday and of course, we our love you Becky Sue.
































No comments: