Thursday, April 17, 2008

Debbie's Footie Hurts

A few months before New Year's Eve of 2007, Deb's right foot had been hurting and we figured it was ligaments since her left foot prior to this felt the same. According to her, the pain went away after a year. On 12/31/07, we headed up North to Cadillac to party with brother Steve and wife Stacey and to our surprise, her cousin Jim and his wife Beth showed up also.



Since I don't drink any longer, I got to sit around and watch everyone else get totally trashed prior to leaving for town and watch them drink some more. Knowing Debbie as I do, after a few drinks, she thinks she should be on Dancing With the Stars. You ever see a drunk dance? It's FUNNY. Anyway, I told her to be careful and not too dance to much, but as soon as she entered the bar, she was dancing herself to the table. We danced the first fast dance and she said that her right foot was extremely painful to walk on and she would only dance slow dances. Next thing I knew, a fast number comes on, her brother grabs her and off they go to the dance floor. I noticed on her way back, she was trying not to limp and I could see the pain she was in. She grabs my shoulder and collapses into her chair. With tears in her eyes, she says, "Honey, I can't do this anymore, I'm really hurting." "Well.......", I was about to say, and looked up and she was on her way back to the dance floor with Cousin Jimmy and they were both doing some 'Drunk Dance'. When the dance was over, she tried to walk back to the table like there is no pain, collapses in the chair, but this time, crying. She asks me to go up and get her a drink, and like a dutiful husband, I did.


I get back to the table and no Debbie. I asked my sister in law and she motions to the dance floor and who is back up there spinning around like a top? Yep, you guessed it. A few songs pass and finally I say, "Hon, this is my favorite song, how about you and I going......." "Are you nuts? You want me to get up and try and dance? Honey, I hurt too much, I can't" "Sorry!" I asked Stacey if she wanted to dance and we head for the dance floor. Within two minutes, Deb passes us with the guy from the next table and the two are dancing the same 'Drunk Dance' that she did with Cousin Jimmy. How did this stranger know the steps??? Back at the table I said, "You wouldn't dance with me because your foot hurt, but you dance with the guy from the next table?, She looked up and said "He asked me and I couldn't turn a stranger down." Whatever!

New Year's day we were at the Cadillac Hospital getting Xrays.


Fast Forward four months. After months of listening to her bitch about her foot, I made an appointment for her with the foot doctor. Short version, he's making her two leather type inserts for her shoes and she has to wear them for a few months until she is better. Damn, I hope this works because I'm really tired of listening to her complain, tired of seeing her hurting and really tired of having to rub her feet for two and three hours a night. Not that I wouldn't do it for her anyway, but not every night.

The Doctor said to her, "Can I get you to turn over and lay on your stomach for me?" She flipped over faster than a sea otter with a clam on its stomach. He applied the casting material and now it's a game of wait and see. I hope it works, cause I'm tired of rubbing her foot.

























4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog dad - you are so funny! Love you!!

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

I hope Deb's feet feel better very soon :)

Unknown said...

lol hope you have good insurance, orthotics are nasty money, but worth it if they work!!

Mona said...

I've been telling her for YEARS that those podiatrists are quacks! Poor Deb!