Sunday, March 4, 2007

"Jim, Build This For Me, TODAY!"

"Jim, I saw a cool wall hanging in a magazine and decided I want you to make it for me. It's a mirrored window flower box made out of wood, and I want to hang it on the family room wall?" I heard Deb say as I was kick'n back in my recliner, sipping my favorite beverage, munching on snacks and watching a little golf. "You know" I retorted, "I'd love to do that for you Sweetheart, but as you can see, I'm sitting here in a shiiiiiiiit load of pain. That's why you bought me a magnetic wrap around heated back brace isn't it, to sit here and relax? Haven't you noticed I've been hunched over like an 80 year old man, or do you think I've just looking for something I dropped for the past eight months? And besides, I don't have the wood necessary to build a project of that magnitude." "Sure you do." she said, "And besides, you've rested long enough."

"I went into the basement," she continued, "and up in the supports there was wood enough to build a shed. So, I took the liberty of taking some different sizes down and laying them on your tool bench. I believe you have enough material there to build what I want, and I've even drawn up a rough sketch for you to go by. It will give you something to do to take you mind off all the pain you claim you're having. By the way, I'm not feeling well, so I'm going upstairs to take a nap. I also took some paint out and want you to paint it the same color as you did on the lower family room wall. Oh yeah by the way, don't wake me and Good Luck."

I walked down to the basement and surer than hell, there's different types of wood lying on my tool bench along with a drawing that looked like chicken scratching that resembled a window. No measurements, just a drawing a 2 yr. old would do. There were some 2x4's, a couple of 1x6's, a small piece of plywood, and some oak molding I used for the upstairs bathroom four years ago. Apparently, she thought I would be able to put all these different size pieces into a box, say some magic words, and Waa La, wood for a window frame would miraculously appear. After studying her dimensionless 'sketch', I went into the garage, found some lumber I was going to use for something else, and 'The Project' was a go. First the frame, then the mirror and finally the flower box portion. My creation, or I should say hers, was taking shape and looking pretty close to her meaningless doodling.









Finally, after a few hours, her scribbling was starting to become a reality and wasn't looking bad, even if I have to say so myself. It's been a couple of years since I've done any woodworking and I was somewhat apprehensive about starting this project, but glad I did. I still have to do a couple of small details to finish up, but it will be completed by tomorrow. If I didn't need her help putting it up on the wall, I'd surprise her with it, but you know Deb. She'll be there as usual to supervise and I welcome it (sometimes). But, why should she care, she never goes into the family room anyway and lovingly calls it the Dungeon. So now you're probably asking yourselves, "What's the next 'Project' J.E. will be doing, now that he is back in the crafts game?" Well, a wrap around tree bench by the horseshoe pits for one, a deck and French doors off our upstairs bedroom, a flowerbox/fountain on the middle deck where the hot tub is scheduled to go. But as you and I both know, it will be WHATEVER THE HELL DEB TELLS ME. I'll be sure and add a pic of the completed project to my next post, when it's up on the wall of the Dungeon, filled and flowing with foilage.
Just to be on the safe side though when you come over, I wouldn't sit underneath it, JUST IN CASE.













5 comments:

Mona said...

Jim, there has to be something I can use to barter for your skills. I have a million projects in mind.

Great job!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Mona, we'll talk.

Karen said...

I think it's beautiful, and even more beautiful that you did it for your wife. Thats why we love you so much. SO can I have one too?? HAHAHHAHA

Unknown said...

I never knew you were so handy Jim!