Saturday, March 24, 2007

Home Alone, Again

The weekend is here and once again, I didn't have to work. Deb said I should enjoy the time I have off now, because when I was on the 'floor' early in my magnesium die casting career days, I worked 76 straight days without a day off and then was graciously given ONE day to relax and try to accomplish something I enjoyed. So, today I thought Deb and I would spend the day together making up for lost time during the week. Maybe go to Menards or Lowes to pick up some things Ive been wanting and then some dinner and a movie, but that wasn't meant to be. I probably see her maybe fifteen minutes a week because of my shift and I actually miss not being with her. I forgot that today was the day she and her sister Becky (the Glover Queen) traveled to Pinckney for a baby shower for one of their cousins daughter and she will be gone most of the day.

Years ago when she would be gone for the entire day or even an hour for that matter, I was out the door before she was a mile down the road. But, not anymore. Must be an age thing. Hell, I would be consuming my favorite beverage at my favorite watering hole, playing golf or just blowing off the day and not accomplishing a damn thing. I guess getting trashed was accomplishing something, but wasn't getting me any points with the little woman. I was disappointed that she wasn't going to be home, but than I thought, I'll surprise her by doing the chores around the house that she would normally do and maybe go out this evening after she'd rested up from partying with the relatives she never sees and playing baby games all afternoon.

Knowing Deb, you know what a stickler she is on house cleaning and no matter how hard I try and how good of a job I do, it just isn't the same as when she does it. Do you know anyone that has ever taken the vacuum into the basement and sucked out cobwebs from the rafters? I never did until I married her. And, I've never seen a cobweb in the basement at all. I've never looked, but maybe there might be a stray web or two somewhere down there, but I doubt it. Not that she isn't appreciative of the work I do around here, but she once walked into the bedroom after I made the bed, looked at it and smoothed out a wrinkle on the bedspread. Is that sick or what? Was that a Princess and the Pea thing?

Now I don't want to pat myself on the back, but if I don't, no one else will. These are just a few of the things I did today while the little woman was out doing whatever they do at baby showers.

1. Drove to town and picked up ingredients to make Stacy's Northern Macaroni and Cheese.
(If you'd like the recipe, give me a buzz, it's great)

2. Cleaned/dusted/vacuumed and picked up the entire house.

3. Swept and washed the kitchen/dining room floor (on my hands and knees no less).

4. Changed the oil in my tractor and it's now ready ease my yard work burdens.

5. Washed and folded three (3) loads of clothes.

6. Played with History

7. Started picking up debris from the yard.

8. Watched golf.

9. Began to design a water feature that will look like a mountain stream with underwater lighting. This will also double as a barrier on the middle deck instead of a railing, so my idiot friends won't step off of it and sue me. This will be a major project, but will look so cool when I'm finished. Here's a few pics to prove I did something. If I'm lying, I'm dying.
I love spring time and with the weather so nice out today, I sat out on the deck (between chores) looking out at the field as the deer were wandering out of the woods and wild turkey were walking around. But, along with the warm weather comes added work and pushing the ripe old age of 60, I may need some help with one project that I have to do. Check your calender and make a note, that around the end of May, once I power wash the decks, I'll be throwing a 'Deck Staining Party' and you're all welcome to attend. Hell, I'll supply everything and even feed your ass as well. It doesn't get any better than that. Now you may be asking yourself, "What is J.E. going to do tomorrow since he's worked his old ass off all day?" Well, if the weather's as nice as it was today, I'll be playing 18 and then kick'n back on the deck, listening to some Classic Rock and sipping Iced Tea and thinking, it's good to be alive and living on Boody (Highway, that is).


















4 comments:

Unknown said...

Shoot, you need to have some husband training camp and teach that to a few guys I know!!

Anonymous said...

Think your wife will let me have you for a weekend???

Mona said...

Are you for hire?

Anonymous said...

People, you are making me feel like a 'Work Ho'