Thursday, March 1, 2007

Can't Seem To Get Away


One thing I want to do is get the hell away from Eaton Rapids, if only for the day. These afternoons are kicking my ass and even though I'm off this weekend, I thought a little trip down the Grand River, away from E.R. town would be just what the doctor ordered. With the kayak shoved through the sunroof of the Honda, I set sail, or I should say Kayak, on a chilly wintry day. I was looking forward to viewing all the wonderful sites along the banks of the seldom used Grand River and getting away from the only Eaton Rapids On Earth if only for a few hours.

Years ago, 'The Mighty Grand' as it was known to the local inhabitants, was the only means other than horseback, to get to the quaint little town of Eaton Rapids. Traveling back in time, you'd see Indians and settlers alike sitting along the banks of the Grand, smoking the 'peace pipe' and drinking 'Fire Water', something the locals still do today, minus the Indians of course, unless they're from Cleveland.

I paddled for what seemed like hours without seeing a living sole, with the exception of an occasional bird and the splash of a carp. As I maneuvered my yellow craft around boulders and fallen trees, enjoying the solidute of the day, something caught me eye. My first thought was deer, coming out of the woods to drink at the waters edge, but then I heard a sound I thought I recognized, a truck. Beaching my craft, I walked the snow covered banks to the plateau above hoping that I was wrong and then realizing I wasn't.
I never left town.






2 comments:

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

The beginning description of your kayak trip sounds like so much fun. I can't wait until it gets warmer--we all need a little nature :)

Unknown said...

do you have a list of good places to kayak in Michigan? if not, can you just tell me hehe Thank youuuu