Monday, February 26, 2007

Waking The Sleeping Monster

What a peaceful, restful weekend I had until this morning around 6:00 a.m. We went to bed early last night and like most Monday's, Deb had one of her 'Early Morning Meetings' and had set the alarm for a 5:15 a.m. wake up call.

We have a ritual here at the 'House of Hall'. Every morning when Deb's alarm goes off, I immediately roll over on her side of the bed, History comes in, cuddles under my chin and we both fall back asleep until I wake up later in the morning to start my day.
But this morning was a little different.......

As usual, the alarm went off, History came in and we fell back asleep, but this morning we were awaken to the sound of Debbie screaming "DAMN-IT JIM! GET DOWN HERE, NOW." Concerned that maybe something was wrong with her car, I came down stairs and she was standing in the kitchen next to the door leading into the garage. "What's the matter?" I asked, still sleepy eyed. "The 'Monster', she said, is sleeping in History's basket and I'm afraid to go into the garage." She cracked the door open a little, and if History weren't standing next to me at the time, I would have sworn it was him in there. The 'Monster' was curled up and crashed out in History's sleeping basket we keep for him on the landing in the garage, in case we're gone and he is out on the prowl.

"Kill It!" she screamed, as I re-opened the door and looked at it sleeping peacefully. "With What? Can't you see I'm standing here in my boxers. Being the protective husband I am, I left, returning moments later with my camera. "I wanted you to get a gun, not your camera." Are you planning on taking pictures of it until it dies of old age?" The only weapon available to me at that moment in time was a broom handle, and I immediately whacked it on top of the head to get it's attention. The 'Monster' looked up at me, nonchalantly stretched and slowly made its way off the landing, crawling under a table we have in there, while knocking things over as it made a slow retreat.
"What are you going to do NOW?" I heard her yell as she bolted for her car at the speed of light, and avoiding eye contact with the beast.......















4 comments:

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Holy cow! That's a good story... The pictures are pretty good, too. GOod thing History didn't try to defend her bed.

Mona said...

You had better come up with a name for your new Coon....cuz he has realized that the House of Hall is a pretty good place to live. He WILL be back!

Karen said...

Okay if you kill it you suck. You can go to Tractor Supply and buy a live trap and catch it and release it somewhere far away. Or you can do what we did everytime a racoon broke into our house in Florida, feed it peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, they love em! And then invite Uncle Dave over who will then shoot it for you and toss it over the fence to scare away his family.
Im still sad about when he did that with our "pets: we loved to feed.

Unknown said...

Common sense Raccoon names:
Rabies, Pest, Nuisance, Disease ridden...
Raccoons in Media:
Rascal, Ricky, Rocky, RJ, Lifty, Shifty, Rackity Coon Child, Pepper, Meeko.

My favorite is Rackity Coon Child hehe