Friday, February 23, 2007

Baby, It's COLD Inside

"You're going to be quite cold today." I heard Deb say as she was drying off from taking her shower this morning. "What the hell are you talking about? Do you think I'm too stupid to turn the heat up when I get up? Please turn down the heat before you leave, shut both doors to the bedroom so History doesn't come in and I'll call you tonight." "I'll shut the doors, she said, "but it won't matter if you turn it up or not, because YOU FORGOT TO CHECK THE PROPANE LEVEL IN THE TANK LIKE I ASKED YOU TO DO TWO WEEKS AGO AND I BELIEVE WE'RE OUT."
So, after going to sleep around 4:00 a.m., I was up at 6:30 a.m. dressed in my warmest attire and outside in the freezing weather checking the propane level which indeed turned out to be ZERO. Promptly at 7:00 a.m., I was on the phone with the propane people setting up a fill for today. Not really a big deal, but there is a five day fill period. But to get gas TODAY, I have to pay an extra $159.00. I believe they refer to that as an 'Asshole Charge'. No need to argue with them, they have you by the short and curlies, just suck it up, call yourself an A-Hole and make the best of a bad situation. But, as I sit here in sweat pants, sweat shirt, wool cap and wrapped up in my MSU blanket, I can't help but wonder if the propane people will get here before I have to leave for work. Not because I'm cold as shiiiiiiiit, but because when Deb comes home, she won't have any heat either until the pilot on the furnace is re-lite and also the hot water tank. Talk about a role reversal. She'll be the one bundled up and I'll be the one in a warm building. But, she's a survivor and can handle it until I get home tonight and then we'll heat the house up and then promptly turn the heat down to go to sleep. I love living in the country, except for the propane. So, now I was smart enough to put reminders on my computer calendar to send me email alerts EVERY TWO WEEKS TO CHECK THE PROPANE LEVEL. It won't need checking for a couple of months, but burn me once, shame on me, burn me three times (yeah, it's happened three times before) shame on me again.
Well, it's now 2:10, they haven't arrived, so I'm out of here.



3 comments:

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Hahahahahaha! I love the picture of Deb in the elf costume. So cute.

Mona said...

I am a witness.....Deb kept saying to me "I told Jim to check the propane since we have had such cold weather." Gee, Jim $159 would have bought a plane ticket to somewhere warm!

Unknown said...

I can hear the I told you so's right now....