Monday, February 19, 2007

Must Be Nice To Have Presidents Day Off

Sure, I was off for six months last year because of my back, but that was in the past and unlike 'SOMEONE' in my family, I DON'T LIVE IN THE PAST. But, talking about it would be bringing up the past and I'm not a 'Past' person.

My lovely wife Deb is off today because of Presidents Day and she keeps rubbing it in. How many times can a person hear in a singing/laughing tone, "I'm off today and you're not." before one loses it completely? I tried to explain to her that if I were a State worker or a teacher like herself, I'd have it off also, but was happy she able to stay home and relax. Today, she's been prancing around the house most of the morning dancing and chanting "I'm off today and you're not. I'm off today and you're not." Being above the kid games, I blew off her childlike rants and went to work, somewhat upset because once again, she was off and I wasn't.

Like the good husband I am, I called her later in the evening to see if she was enjoying her day off and to my surprise, she apologized for her taunting and said that she would make it up to me with a nice dinner and also be dressed for a fun evening when I came home. I can't tell you the thoughts that went through my head, but I was thinking about the great time I'd have when I got home later in the evening.

Time seemed to stand still and the minutes seemed like hours, as I continuously waited for the clock strike 11:00 P.M. and I was finally free. The six mile drive home seemed even longer as the Honda, ever so smoothly negotiated the winding curves of the back roads it's traveled so many times before. Crazy thoughts were going through my mind, "What kind of great meal did she prepare for my dinner? What would my lovely wife be wearing as she anxiously awaited 'Her Man' to come home ? And, what would be the first words out of her lovely mouth as I tiredly walked through the door?


Walking through the door and into the living room, I heard, in a cooing voice, "Hey, Big Boy, I'll be down in a minute." "Sure is Baby." I said, wildly anticipating something wonderful was about to happen me. To my surprise, she came down stairs and the first words out of her mouth were, "I was off today and you weren't. I was off today and you weren't. I've already eaten, take out a frozen pizza for your meal, I"m going to bed. Have a nice night!"




3 comments:

Unknown said...

haha i can hear her sing songy voice now

Mona said...

HA! HA!
If it makes you feel any better, Joe was off and I WASN'T!

Karen said...

HAHAHHAHAHA!!
Thats hilarious and SO why we love Deb!!