Tuesday, January 9, 2007

I love afternoons

Afternoons really suck. At 4p.m., I was sitting on my forklift thinking back to only a few short months ago when at that precise moment in time, I'd be in my little cubicle of life, shutting down my computer and going home to the 'Little Woman'. Once home and unwound, I'd either work in the yard, go out play a quick nine or whatever the hell I wanted to do, because the sun was still shinning. Now, I can't do really anything. Actually, I can still golf or kayak a portion of the Grand River, but it's not the same. This is funny, the first time I kayaked the Grand River, I went from Smithville Damn into town. Thought it might take me an hour and a half or so, took me 45 minutes and fifteen minutes of that I was B.S.ing with a guy in a canoe. Debbie dropped me off, had just walked into Mona's and I called her to pick me up. Anyway, I can still do all of the things I like to do, but as soon as I'm finished, I have to go into work. No going home, kicking back and going to bed. I have to go work. But, I'm still sitting on my ass and I haven't one ounce of stress and that's what it's all about, isn't it.
One thing I'm going to miss being on afternoons is sitting on my deck in the evening, watching and photographing the deer and the wild turkeys walk across the field. When we bought the house, I envisioned a great looking deck on the back, with an unrestricted view of the horseshoe pits. I built a small deck off the family room which wasn't that big a job and was good enough for who it was for. But, I wanted two more adjoining decks as well.
I knew exactly what I wanted and could picture it in my mind. It consumed every waking moment. I went out and bought several books on deck construction, looked at friends decks to see their design and construction and made numberous phone calls for lumber prices. Yep, I was going to do it myself. All I had to do was wait until spring and then, Jim, 'The Toolman' Hall was going to be getting into some major construction.
Spring was finally in the air and it was time. One Saturday morning, I sat down at the computer, had a list of what materials I needed in front of me and a price calulator. It was time to add up the damage and see what this baby was going to cost me and how much I'd save by doing it myself. I was pleased. Then reality set in. The first thought that came to my head was, "Do I really want to trust my construction abilities enough to let my family and friends gather on something I built that is roughly six feet above the ground? Hell No!
I started making calls instantly and of course, I waited to late in the year and every carpenter in the Tri County Area was busy. Finally, in late October with some snow flurries in the air my deck was finished by a professional. I finally had my deck, it was safe to stand on. Oh, I also got to sit on it twice before the first snow fall of the year and I had to put my chairs away. But, the one good thing about all of this is, it's safe for more than one person and has turned into a great party deck as well. Now I just have to go out and find some friends to party on it with.

3 comments:

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

You do have a cool deck--we especially liked it when we had Jenn's Pampered Chef Party!

Mona said...

What do you mean FIND some friends?
When is the next party? Spring sounds good, if it is on the deck!

Anonymous said...

You guys are the only two friends I have. Debbie ran off all my 'other' friends from years past. Guess I can't blame her though.