Monday, January 29, 2007

Things I do for lunch

I'm not much of a lunch eater, but last night I thought I'd like some fish for lunch before I left for work today. I asked Deb if we had any frozen fish in the freezer and I thought she said "Only if you catch some." Since she never really jokes around, I took that remark as a truthful NO. But, once I woke up this morning, the urge for some fresh mercury laced fish was still heavily floating around in my mind and I wanted some, NOW. I donned my Carharts, grabbed some ice fishing gear that I luckily saved of my Dad's and off to a secluded back road pond I drove to catch my lunch. Thoughts of a century past, flashed through my mind and I felt like one the first pioneer's arriving to the Eaton Rapids area in the late 1800's, living off the land. Hours passed without a nibble and after a while, I couldn't feel my hands or feet any longer and my beard was frozen solid. I finally realized that I needed to look elsewhere for a meal.
I called a friend of mine, and his wife informed me that he was outside with the 'kids' having lunch and to come on over. Back to the Honda I flew and headed out to his country estate. I found my buddy as he was heading back into his home and told him about my disappointing fishing experience. He told me the 'kids' were actually still eating outside as we spoke and I could still get that frontier experience I was looking for. "Just elbow your way up to the feeding area and help yourself.", he informed me with a slight toothless grin. Well, I took one look at the 'kids', knew instantly that they weren't going to let me eat with them and decided that I would lower my standards and have a Banquet Swedish Meatball frozen meal. But, if you look closely at the box, I'm getting a free game of bowling with every meal I have.
Bon Appetite






4 comments:

Mona said...

I sure wish I could have gone ice fishing with you! I know that would have been a great experience.

Anonymous said...

I had my camera with me today and on the way into town this morning, this guy was fishing at Spicerville and Hogsback, so I stopped and snapped his picture. Same with the cows. I haven't been ice fishing in 40 yrs.

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Sounds way too cold. Ever hear of Long John Silvers?? LOL!
Can you eat fish that you catch in the Grand River? Ya know the ones with the 3 eyes??

Karen said...

Okay #1 if Mona ever goes ice fishing with you please please please call me so I can watch. #2 I love how you always find the silver lining, hey who can pass up free bowling??